Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Don't you like me???

This post brought to you by: Jen. You should check out her blog and the my fellow classmates' here. They say good stuff!
In her post, Jen talked about how addicted to Facebook people are nowadays, and how public everything is.
I'm not going to lie here and say that I am not. I love Facebook. I love creeping on people and that satisfied feeling when your picture/status gets a lot of likes. I don't update as much as some people, and I usually try to stick to general, need-to-know info most of the time. However, I'm not always good.
Take this picture, for example.I put it up approximately 20 minutes after Carley and I finished our last finals. I could have taken my much-needed nap right then. Or started the enormous amount of packing and cleaning that had to be done. Instead, I called Carley over and we took this (adorable) picture and put it straight on Facebook.
"These are our we're-so-happy-to-be done-with-finals-we-could-cry faces. Thank goodness."

What Jen brought to my attention was the narcissistic aspect of it. My roommate and I discussed today how many people feel pressured to have every single thing they post be absolutely perfect. Which brings the question to my mind: Is it all just a big, happy, pristine facade?

I would submit a definite maybe.

This kind of ties in with my last post. There are issues with posting content that only portray you in the best light. You can untag yourself from pictures that don't make you look as good as you think you should. You post things that make you sound funny, intelligent, witty, well-read, in-the-know, etc. (Not saying that you aren't all of these things and more). Yet, we feel pressured to be so. I've never heard of someone posting on Facebook that wasn't looking for some sort of recognition in one way or another. Consider the "like my status" trend. A plea for attention? Last night I felt really bad for a girl because she had posted a picture of herself in a cute outfit asking if she should wear it to school, and no one liked it. If you think about it, this is a strange way to feel. Why should I feel bad because this girl didn't get any likes on a photo? Because I know that she is looking for: a kind of reassurance. While the definition of narcissistic is being self-loving or self-absorbed, there is a certain amount of reassurance that one needs to keep up such a mindset. These guys have got it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment