Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Monsterous thoughts.

First, I'm going to ask for a little forgiveness here. My last post essentially claimed that Facebook= a bunch of kids that only want attention and reassurance to nurse their narcissism.

Now, I would like to quote my English 295 professor: "Be careful about answering narcissism with judgmentalism. You have a nearly magical way of constantly knowing about and being able serve the needs of 100s of your friends. It's worth looking past a lot of fluff and junk. Those are real people on the other end of those computers, and all of us are figuring out the new media and not always using them for the best."
So, I'm sorry for being so negative, friends. Like Professor Burton said, "...all of us are figuring out the new media and not always using them for the best." Lesson = learned. Give me the gold star!

And of course, just like in real life, sometimes you have to apply your lessons right away, like with this article.
Today I've been reading up on various creative ways that Frankenstein has been presented. One in particular that I was trying to ferret up some info about was of the "create-your-own-adventure" style. This article looked promising, so away I burrowed. Shockingly, only a few feet down, was this: "...the novel itself, while not bad for an 18-year-old, is awkward, with one of the dullest protagonists in English literature."

WHAT?!

Have you read Frankenstein?! Don't you see that there essentially was no protagonist, therefore causing readers to reevaluate their own conceptions of good and evil, whether man is born inheriting either, and what it is to be human?!

Okay. This is where the lesson kicks in. I re-read some of the passages from Frankenstein. I read again what this author had said in his article. And I said, "You know, thank you for bashing on Frankenstein, one of my favorite classics." No sarcasm intended. What it did do is open my eyes a little bit. As an English major, there tends to be a teeny, tiny, bit of placing classics over all other forms of literature, because, well, they're classics! However, no one likes everything they read.What it does is make you look at the novel from a different perspective, it makes you see passages and chapters that you got meaning from, maybe has a different application in another situation, or perhaps none at all! And that's one thing I love about literature, it can mean so many things to so many people.

But don't worry Frankenstein, I'll still love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment