Saturday, May 12, 2012

More scary stuff.

It is hard sometimes to put content on the internet. As they tell you in all those internet safety lessons, once something is on the internet, it's there FOREVER. And people may like it (i.e., your friend that gets your jokes and your mom/grandma), or they may send you hate comments for as long as it's posted. But that's the thing about the internet. It isn't really a place for only passive consuming. The ability to create and share instantaneously is an opportunity unique to our day and age. So why not take advantage of it? Answer: IT'S SCARY.


I think of Frankenstein in this scenario. There was Victor thinking, 'I've discovered the secret to life!' And then, his creation comes to life and he's as hideous as the leftover bologna sandwich you find in your locker at the end of the school year. Victor abondons him, the monster kills Frankenstein's little brother and the tale goes on, ending in the death of Frankenstein, his monster, and all of Frankenstein's family and his best friend. I feel like this same kind of thing can happen with things we post on the internet, perhaps with a little less drama. We put ourselves into a post, video, photo, etc., and it can turn out the opposite of the way you wanted it to. I'm sure everyone has looked back at things they've said or done on the internet and winced a bit. I have!
Example: I posted a video dedicated to my best friend/roommate when she was gone for a few days, and when I put it together, I thought it was hilarious. Now, when I look back at it, the only funny part is probably when I get poked in the eye by her aloe plant. To witness my un-funnyness, click here. I warn you, it's embarrassing.

But just so you know, THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE! Just like there was potential for good in Frankenstein's monster, such is the same with our own attempts at creation on the internet. First of all, your friends/family care about what you're doing, so do it for mom (Happy Mother's Day, by the way.)! Second, someone, somewhere out there will care about what you're saying/doing. You might have something in common with a person you never knew existed. People can think alike more than we might imagine. Third, there is always a chance that someone can see your idea, and help you improve on it. The unique collaborative nature of the internet, via social networking and such is a great resource for feeding ideas into and getting results that may be helpful. So, my fellow amateur artists, you can do it! Be not afraid, and feel free to create!

No comments:

Post a Comment