Friday, May 25, 2012

Social Lairtion

Proof.
Take a look at that word for a few seconds. Am I the only one that thinks that's a ridiculous word to use for the information that could spare an innocent's life, validate someone's life work, or bring a criminal to justice? It sounds wimpy and fairy-like!
Try this instead: Lairtion (lair-shun).
Say it in a deep, commanding voice. Now say it the same way with some expressive eyebrow movement. It's much better, isn't it? I decided to validate my new word using social proof.  Social proof is what I like to think of as shaping and reinforcing your ideas based on what other people have said on your topic and about your ideas. Result: My roommates thought lairtion was dumb, and that proof works just fine. Dramatic sigh.

Now, this was an extremely roundabout way to getting to the social proof I will be using to validate my ideas pertaining to creativity and Frankenstein. I've been emailing and searching like a fiend, and I hope that I will be able to get some feedback from those people I have contacted.

Act One: The first people I asked to take a look at my ideas on my blog were my mom and my grandma. Of course, they both said nice things about it and how cool it was that I was venturing into the blogosphere. Then was a big step: posting it on Facebook. I'm not going to lie, I was terrified. But I suppose that my fears were in vain, because no one said anything about it. At all. Not even a single "like". Okay, it's cool, it's cool. I decided to move out of my personal sphere and try contacting those enthusiasts and experts that could give me some really solid feedback on my ideas (if only they'd reply!).


Devon Anderson-Professor at Brown University, I wrote a blog post about an article he published that you can see here.

Bernie Wrightson and Steve Niles- These two gentlemen created a comic book version of
Frankenstein, called Frankenstein, Alive! Alive! It lookes incredible. I was reading an interview that they held between themselves, and they mentioned things that go right along with my ideas. I really, really hope they respond!

Alistair Wood, also known as Woodshed, along with Craig Robertson and Kahiwe Sabire. They are all ukulele players who publish their music through creative commons licensing. Wood wrote this blogpost talking about creative commons licensing, which I will be honing in on more.

Pierre Fournier- Also has a very expansive Frankenstein blog that tracks the interaction that Frankenstein has with all sorts of media.

Act Two: I've started searching for what my professor has called "satellites", which are enthusiasts that may have information/a conection to those I am trying to contact. I also am determined to figure out who spoke at a Frankenstein conference held at EIU, and ask them to take a look at the connection I'm trying to establish between creativity on the internet and Frankenstein. I want to focus in a little more on creative commons licensing, so my step in that direction would be to contact experts/enthusiasts in that particular area, like I've done with Wood and the others.

End of Scene: I'm torn. It's scary to put your ideas out there, especially when you're contacting people that know more than you. At the same time, I want people to know my ideas! I want to say, "Hey! I think important thoughts that can apply to your everyday life!" And I know that talking to these experts/enthusiasts will help my ideas gain even more relevancy in the real world. This whole process where I've been researching and reaching out has effected my writing in many ways. One in particular that I've noticed is that it has made my writing more personal. It's almost like Frankenstein's monster in a way. I created this blog and my ideas, and no matter how hideous it might be, I'm responsible for it, and it is present in my thoughts nearly all the time. I'd much rather it turn for a good purpose than still be sitting on my lab table, waiting for the spark of social proof to bring it to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment