Monday, June 4, 2012

Oh, the memories.

As I am working in the wee hours of the morning on my research paper, this memory came to my mind that I wanted to share:

When I was probably in kindergarten, my parents had a computer in their bedroom, their first home office. It was a tan, ugly, big block of plastic that squatted on my parent's desk. I had to do a diagram of the solar system for my class one night, this probably being the first of many projects that my dad lost precious sleep over. To get inspiration for each of the planets, my dad fired up the old tan beast and sat me on his lap as we listened to the clanging, ringing sounds that signaled dial-up was doing its thing.

I recall being amazed as my dad showed me pictures and information on the planets, more I could dream possible. You could see the beautiful blue color of Neptune right on the screen, without having to search through a book to find the right page. The possibilities seemed endless. Now, as I sit with my slim computer on my lap, knowing a bit more about this strange world we call the internet,  I feel that the possibilities are as endless as ever. The internet exists independent from any singular person's control, but there is so much we can do to affect it.
This is my little sister Olivia. This picture just embodies childhood, when pants can equal a scabbard, and there seems to be more mysterious and wonderful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment