Monday, June 11, 2012

I'm a big kid now: Learning Outcomes

1.  Learn and Follow the BYU-Idaho Learning Model
I really enjoyed utilizing this learning model this semester. I feel like I spent a lot of time preparing for each class. There wasn't a day that went by where I haven't thought about how whatever I'm doing could relate to this class. Teaching one another was definitely my most favorite part. I love idea-sharing and working with others and having them help me improve my ideas.
2. Write Substantially and Publicly About Literature
I'm going to be honest. I feel like I have written monsters of text this semester, probably more than I did all of fall and winter semesters combined. I have known from the beginning that I have a hard time developing coherent and clear ideas, especially when I let my personality outshine them. However, this class has helped me to step outside of the muddle I'm usually in and look at my writing more objectively. Making sure my writing applied to a "real audience" was new ground for me, and it was difficult for me sometimes to make sure it could be understood and respected by my audience.
3. Develop Research Skills
I loved this. I love playing with internet tools and looking at new ways of presenting information and making ideas engaging and personal. I felt like I have learned so much about utilizing different tools to make research quicker, easier and deeper than I could have ever accomplished before.
4. Perfect Ideas Socially
Like I said previously, I love working with others. I firmly believe in the idea that other's strengths can cover your weaknesses, and I am not afraid to admit that I am not good at something and someone could do better. Perhaps this is one of those times when someone could have done better, because I feel like I sent out feelers, searching for social proof, and got no return. Perhaps I was going through the wrong routes, or I just didn't contact enough people. If I had to go back and take this class again, this is where I would try to improve the most.
5. Gain Digital Literacy
When I started out with my idea as the Internet as a monster out of control, like in Frankenstein. I felt determined that I could paint this picture of an awful creature that has no discipline of any kind.  I should have paid more attention to the text itself, I suppose, because the monster was not just an evil, uncontrollable ball of chaos. It has the ability to create beautiful and wonderful and useful things. This is something else that I enjoyed in this class, was learning to be literate in tools that could help me be creative and connect with others, after consuming, of course.
6. Address Changes to Literary Study
Hey! I know stuff! But seriously. I feel like I can have a well-informed discussion about how literary study is changing due to digital media, anyday. Bring it on! Just the past weekend I had a long discussion with a good friend on the subject. There is a lot that is shifting and changing in the digital and education spheres, but I have my own, informed opinions that I can continue to develop as these worlds do.


I tried. I don't think I have ever put so much effort into a class in my life. This may sound dramatic, but it was seriously on my mind all the time, and it was so exciting for me to look at literature and digital tools in a new way. I have grown in thought. I haven't always been the girl with the opinion. I like to think before I speak, and make sure I'm going into something with a full-fledged idea. This class has given me the ability to do that better than I could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment