Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"We never do what we wish when we wish it." -Mary Shelley

Okay, I'll admit it. I was the kid that always took a cookie from the cookie jar. If I wanted something (usually, a food item. I wasn't planning jewlery heists here) I would sneak into the fridge or the cupboard and retrieve the desired item. My parents would ask all the kids who ate the last piece of cake or the leftovers from their fancy dinner. Hint: it was never me. Even though my parents caught on and now I have cut back on my food frauds, I do tend to enjoy what I like to call "collaboration" when it comes to schoolwork. Just so you know: I am NOT cheating, plagarizing, etc.  But I do like to pick the brains of others for insights, ideas, feedback, etc. It helps solidify and change my own ideas. This is why I like the BYU-Idaho learning model, which consists of:
1) Prepare
-Individually and with others
2) Teach One Another
-Many brains are better than one!
3) Ponder and Prove
-Think it over, and then run with it.

And this will ultimately result in self-directed learning, a big part of my English 295 class this semester. Mary Shelley's quote goes along with this. We won't get anywhere if we sit here wishing. I wouldn't have gotten yummy treats if I hadn't gotten up to the cupboard and gotten them, right? Which I think is one of the main reasons I have this blog. It's to get my ideas out, so in return, other's can help me with their own.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to learn from what others have to say, too! I think it will be nice to not feel so isolated in thought and get some good new ideas going.

    ReplyDelete