Thursday, April 26, 2012

Frankenstein!

Anyone that knows me, knows I HATE scary things. Scary movies = eyes closed for approximately 1 hr., 35 mins. The Halloween store = A 5 minute sprint to grab everything I need and get out. Even those cheesy Goosebumps books had me skittering to the other side of the room. So, why in the name of Santa Claus would I enjoy Frankenstein? Frankenstein is THE horror novel, Sam! I know, I know.  Here are some of my reasons.

1) It's not what I thought it was. It was a nice surprise, even. I was expecting something along the lines of all the movies I'd seen (which was a silly assumption, considering that movies made on books are hardly ever good). But instead I got a novel that considered aspects of human nature that made me question my own definition of what it is to be human, and other things as well.
2) It's layered. I like onions, cakes and books with more than one layer of story and meaning. It is a book that can trigger something new in your mind each time, as I've found with Frankenstein.
3) Probably the biggest reason, is it's out of my normal comfort range. I'm all about stories with happy endings, granted that it's preceded by a little trouble. In Frankenstein, you don't even know who the hero is, much less the villian. And like a good ol' Bill Shakespeare tragedy, pretty much everyone dies. Heroes don't die in "nice" stories. Or Disney movies.

In any event, I've decided I'll be makin' some sense of Frankenstein.

1 comment: